Upon leaving the section of the Gilmore Car Museum devoted to Lincolns, we came upon a bright and airy barn-like annex where there were some very fine cars representing the Brass Era primarily. As is typical of the Gilmore, it is possible to get up close to all the cars and we were fortunate to have most of the place to ourselves on this Monday afternoon.
|1905 Cadillac Model F Touring Car|
Cadillac introduced its Model F in 1905 as either a two-seater delivery vehicle or, as this example, a four seater with side entrance to the fixed tonneau body. The car retailed for $950 and was powered by a 9 hp single cylinder engine. This vehicle has been in the same family's ownership since new and was restored from 2003 to 20014 by students of the noted auto restoration program at McPherson College in Kansas. In 1905 Cadillacs only offered headlights as an option and this vehicle never had them!
|1909 Brush Model E Gentleman's Roadster|
|1906 Cadillac Model M Two Door Touring Car|
Basically an updated version of the previous year's Model F, this car was the longer wheelbase Cadillac offered in 1906 and 1907. Its shorter wheelbase sister, the Model K, gained fame by winning the Dewar Trophy in England in 1908. Three of the cars were disassembled, the parts mixed up, and then reassembled, after which the cars were driven 500 miles with no issues. This was one of the most celebrated examples of precision engineering in the auto industry, with complete parts interchangeability.
|1912 Cadillac 30 Touring Car|
|1910 Ford Model T Racer|
|1906 Columbia Mark XLVII 5 Passenger Touring Car|
The car in the museum was market to the wealthy, costing $4,700, equivalent to a house at the time. It had a 112 inch wheelbase, was powered by a four cylinder 45 hp engine, a featured double chain drive and an I-beam front suspension.
At the same time, Col. Pope was manufacturing a confusing range of eponymous cars in a number of US cities--Pope-Hartford, Pope-Toledo, Pope-Robinson, Pope-Waverly, Pope-Tribune--as he attempted to consolidate the auto industry in the way he had done the bicycle one but his empire did not long outlive his passing in 1909, with the last Pope car (the ones built in Hartford) rolling out of the factory in 1913.
|1915 Woods Mobilette Model 5 Roadster|
Produced by the Woods Mobilette Company in Harvey, Illinois, the Model 5 was an example of the short-lived cyclecar moment. With staggered seating for two, the car sold for $380 and was powered by a 12 hp four cylinder engine. It was only 36 inches wide and brakes were optional for $10. Electric starting was even available.
|1904 Waltham Orient Buckboard|
Another company with a convoluted corporate history, the Waltham Manufacturing Company of Waltham, Massachusetts, had been organized in 1893 to produce Orient bicycles and the Orient name would be attached to the company's cars when it got into that business at the turn of the century. All the Orients were small single cylinder cars, with the most famous being the Orient Buckboard, which came onto the scene in 1903. Billed as "the cheapest automobile in the world," the Buckboard weighed 400 lbs and had a 4 hp engine that allowed it to reach speeds as high as 30 mph. Priced at $425 in 1904, the Buckboard was gone by 1908.
|1911 Stanley Steamer Model 70 Touring Car|
|1917 Locomobile 48 Sportif Dual Cowl Phaeton|
|1925 Locomobile Model 48 Sportif Dual Cowl Phaeton|
|1916 Winton Hearse|
One of the key figures that started the US auto industry in motion, Scottish immigrant Alexander Winton began building cars in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1896 after, as so many others, a successful run at bicycle manufacture. The name is more famous today as being the loser against Henry Ford in a match race but Winton introduced a number of technical innovations to early cars. In 1903 a Winton was the first car to be driven across the United States from San Francisco to New York. Wintons were never cheap and the company, which retained its management team since 1898, closed its doors in 1924. The hearse on display uses a Winton Special Six chassis and was bodied by Crane & Breed of Cincinnati, which manufactured and distributed a full line of funerary materials.
Continue to Part 10 of the Gilmore Car Museum visit here.